福爾摩斯英文小說閱讀
Ⅰ 福爾摩斯英文版:血字的研究(10)
「And these other people?」
"還有另外那些人呢?"
「They are mostly sent on by private inquiry agencies.
"他們多半是由私人偵探指點來的,
They are all people who are in trouble about something and want a little enlightening .
都是遇到些麻煩問題、需要別人加以指引的。
I listen to their story, they listen to my comments, and then I pocket my fee.」
我仔細聽取他們的事實經過,他們則聽取我的意見;這樣,費用就裝進我的口袋裡了。"
「But do you mean to say,」 I said,
我說:"你的意思是說,
「that without leaving your room you can unravel some knot which other men can make nothing of,
別人雖然親眼目睹各種細節,但都無法解決,
although they have seen every detail for themselves?」
而你足不出戶,卻能解釋某些疑難問題嗎?"
「Quite so. I have a kind of intuition that way.
"正是如此。因為我有那麼一種利用直覺分析事物的能力。
Now and again a case turns up which is a little more complex.
有時也會遇到一件稍微復雜的案件,
Then I have to bustle about and see things with my own eyes.
那麼,我就得奔波一番,親自出馬偵查。
You see I have a lot of special knowledge which I apply to the problem, and which facilitates matters wonderfully.
你知道,我有許多特殊的知識,把這些知識應用到案件上去,就能使問題迎刃而解。
Those rules of dection laid down in that article which aroused your scorn are invaluable to me in practical work.
那篇文章里所提到的幾點推斷法則雖曾惹起你的訕笑,但在實際工作中,對我卻有著無比的價值。
Observation with me is second nature.
觀察能力是我的第二天性。
You appeared to be surprised when I told you, on our first meeting, that you had come from Afghanistan.」
咱們初次會面時,我就對你說過,你是從阿富汗來的,你當時好象還很驚訝哩。"
「You were told, no doubt.」
"沒問題,一定有人告訴過你。"
「Nothing of the sort. I knew you came from Afghanistan.
"沒有那回事。我當時一看就知道你是從阿富汗來的。
From long habit the train of thoughts ran so swiftly through my mind
由於長久以來的習慣,一系列的思索飛也似地掠過我的腦際,
that I arrived at the conclusion without being conscious of intermediate steps.
因此在我得出結論時,竟未覺察得出結論所經的步驟。
There were such steps, however.
但是,這中間是有著一定的步驟的。
The train of reasoning ran,
在你這件事上,我的推理過程是這樣的:
『Here is a gentleman of a medical type, but with the air of a military man.
『這一位先生,具有醫務工作者的風度,但卻是一副軍人氣概。
Clearly an army doctor, then.
那麼,顯見他是個軍醫。
He has just come from the tropics, for his face is dark,
他是剛從熱帶回來,因為他臉色黝黑,
and that is not the natural** tint** of his skin, for his wrists are fair.
但是,從他手腕的皮膚黑白分明看來,這並不是他原來的膚色。
He has undergone hardship and sickness, as his haggard face says clearly.
他面容憔悴,這就清楚地說明他是久病初愈而又歷盡了艱苦。
His left arm has been injured. He holds it in a stiff and unnatural manner.
他左臂受過傷,現在動作品來還有些僵硬不便。
Where in the tropics could an English army doctor have seen much hardship and got his arm wounded?
試問,一個英國的軍醫在熱帶地方歷盡艱苦,並且臂部負過傷,這能在什麼地方呢?
Clearly in Afghanistan.』
自然只有在阿富汗了。'
The whole train of thought did not occupy a second.
這一連串的思想,歷時不到一秒鍾,
I then remarked that you came from Afghanistan, and you were astonished.」
因此我便脫口說出你是從阿富汗來的,你當時還感到驚奇哩。"
「It is simple enough as you explain it,」 I said, smiling.
我微笑著說:"聽你這樣一解釋,這件事還是相當簡單的呢。
「You remind me of Edgar Allan Poe』s Dupin.
你使我想起埃德加·愛倫·坡的作品中的偵探人物杜班來了。
I had no idea that such indivials did exist outside of stories.」
我真想不到除了小說以外,實際上竟會真有這樣人物存在。"
Sherlock Holmes rose and lit his pipe.
福爾摩斯站了起來,點燃他的煙斗。
「No doubt you think that you are complimenting me in comparing me to Dupin,」 he observed.
他說:"你一定以為把我和杜班相提並論就是稱贊我了。
「Now, in my opinion, Dupin was a very inferior fellow.
可是,在我看來,杜班實在是個微不足道的傢伙。
That trick of his of breaking in on his friends』 thoughts with an apropos remark after a quarter of an hour』s silence is really very showy and superficial.
他先靜默一刻鍾,然後才突然道破他的朋友的心事,這種伎倆未免過於做作,過於膚淺了。
He had some analytical genius, no doubt;
不錯,他有些分析問題的天才,
but he was by no means such a phenomenon as Poe appeared to imagine.」
但決不是愛倫·坡想像中的非凡人物。"
Ⅱ 我不清楚福爾摩斯小說的閱讀順序,希望解答
回憶錄系列
銀色馬 黃面人 「格洛里亞斯科特」號三桅帆船 賴蓋特之謎
馬斯格雷夫禮典 駝背人 證券經紀人的書記員 住院的病人
海軍協定 (英文版) 最後一案 希臘譯員 海軍協定
冒險史系列
冒險史——波希米亞丑聞① 紅發會 身分案 斑點帶子案
工程師大拇指案 貴族單身漢案 綠玉皇冠案 博斯科姆比溪谷秘案
五個桔核 歪唇男人 藍寶石案 銅山毛櫸案
歸來記
諾伍德的建築師 孤身騎車人 空屋 跳舞的人
黑彼得 金邊夾鼻眼鏡 六座拿破崙半身像 米爾沃頓
三個大學生 失蹤的中衛 修道院公學 第二塊血跡
格蘭其庄園
新探案
序言 獅鬃毛 三個同姓人 顯貴的主顧
皮膚變白的軍人 三角牆山莊 吸血鬼 雷神橋之謎
帶面紗的房客 肖斯科姆別墅 爬行人 退休的顏料商
王冠寶石案
歇洛克·福爾摩斯的收場白
歇洛克·福爾摩斯的收場白
血字的研究
一 歇洛克·福爾摩斯先生 二 演繹法 三 勞瑞斯頓花園街的慘案 四 警察欒斯的敘述
五 廣告引來了不速之客 六 特白厄斯·葛萊森大顯身手 七 一線光明 八 沙漠中的旅客
九 猶他之花 十 約翰·費瑞厄和先知的會談 十一 逃命 十二 復仇天使
十三 再錄華生回憶錄 十四 尾聲
四簽名
一 演繹法的研究 二 案情的陳述 三 尋求解答 四 禿頭人的故事
五 櫻沼別墅的慘案 六 福爾摩斯作出判斷 七 木桶的插曲 八 貝克街的偵探小隊
九 線索的中斷 十 兇手的末日 十一 大宗阿格拉寶物 十二 瓊諾贊·斯茂的奇異故事
巴斯克維爾的獵犬
第一章 歇洛克·福爾摩斯先生 第二章 巴斯克維爾的災禍 第三章 疑案 第四章 亨利·巴斯克維爾爵士
第五章 三條斷了的線索 第六章 巴斯克維爾庄園 第七章 梅利琵宅邸的主人斯台普吞 第八章 華生醫生的第一份報告
第九章 華生醫生的第二份報告 第十章 華生醫生日記摘錄 第十一章 岩崗上的人 第十二章 沼地的慘劇
第十三章 設網 第十四章 巴斯克維爾的獵犬 第十五章 回顧
失去的世界
一、英雄事業就在我們周圍 二、上查倫傑教授那兒碰碰運氣 三、他是一個完全令人不能忍受的人 四、它才是世界上最大的東西
五、瞎扯 六、約翰·臘克斯頓勛爵 七、明天我們將消失在未知世界裡 八、在亞瑪遜平原的叢林里
九、誰能預料到呢? 十、最驚人的事情發生了 十一、我當了一次英雄 十二、森林裡是可怕的
十三、我永遠不忘的一幕景象 十四、那些才是真正的征服者 十五、我們的眼睛看到了真正的奇觀 十六、列隊前進!
恐怖谷 第一部 伯爾斯通的悲劇
一 警告 二 福爾摩斯的論述 三 伯爾斯通的悲劇 四 黑暗
五 劇中人 六 一線光明 七 謎底
恐怖谷 第二部 死酷黨人
一 此人 二 身主 三 維爾米薩三百四十一分會 四 恐怖谷
五 最黑暗的時刻 六 危機 七 伯爾弟·愛德華的妙計 八 尾聲
最後致意
前言 一 約翰·斯考特·艾克爾斯先生的離奇經歷 二 聖佩德羅之虎 三 硬紙盒子
四 紅圈會 五 布魯斯—帕廷頓計劃 六 臨終的偵探 七 弗朗西絲·卡法克斯女士的失蹤
八 魔鬼之足 九 歇洛克·福爾摩斯的收場白